The Biker Chicks are a team of women cyclists dedicated to getting more women out road riding. Rides are open to any woman who wants to join us! We ride as a group and have a lot of fun while we’re at it.
Biker Chicks was started by Sonoma County 3rd District Supervisor Shirlee Zane. Shirlee rediscovered her love of cycling a few years ago and can be spotted most weekends pedaling the Joe Rodota trail or the County’s picturesque back roads.
Now she wants to share the joy of bicycling with you. Biker Chicks was founded in early 2012, with the first ride of more than 50 women.
Typically, we ride on the fourth weekend of each month, switching back and forth from Saturday to Sunday.
Next Ride: March 26 – Healdsburg
- Bike ride starts at Spoke Folk in Healdsburg
- Come early at 9:30am to enjoy some snacks and small chat!
- Ride starts at 10:00am
- AS ALWAYS, RAIN CANCELS THE RIDE!
Upcoming 2017 Biker Chicks Ride Schedule
Time: Start time is 10am. End time varies, usually between 12:30 and 1:30pm.
Bring: your road-ready bicycle, helmet, water, ID, cash for lunch, a spare tube, patch kit, mini pump.
- Mar. 26, Sunday
- Apr. 23, Sunday
- May 21, Sunday
- Jun. 24, Saturday
- Jul. 30, Sunday
- Aug. 26, Saturday
- Sep. 24, Sunday
- Oct. 28, Saturday
- Nov. 19, Sunday
- Dec. 16, Saturday
*Dates subject to change
RAIN CANCELS THE RIDE!
Our Rides and What to Expect
We always start off together and regroup many times throughout the ride. Some rides are meant for fitness, some are cruiser rides meant to be social and relaxed. No one is left behind!
Ride starting points vary all over the county. Routes are planned based on terrain, road safety and projected weather conditions. Riders will always have Chick support no matter what her riding speed.
Each ride has two routes from a common starting location; a short 12 to 15 mile ride and a longer route of up to 25 miles. We usually start and end at a restaurant or farmers market for an optional group lunch or drink.
Pre-Ride Checklist and Resources
- A road-ready bike: Has it been a while since your bike last saw the open road? Drop it off at your local bicycle shop and ask for a Safety Check (about $30) or a Tune-up (about $85) and you will be good to go! Please come to our rides with working brakes, tires full of air, and a smile on your face. :)
- We ask that all Biker Chicks attend the Coalition’s Street Skills 101 class, which is offered monthly.
- Join our mailing list at the bottom of this page to stay in the loop about ride locations and start times.
Why Join Us?
Women currently account for less than half of the people who who ride bikes. We want to change that! The Bicycle Coalition hopes that Biker Chicks rides provide a safe space for women to ride, learn, build confidence, and have fun!
We provide coaching and support for all women, whether you are:
- New to group riding
- Looking to learn or improve your road riding skills
- Experienced in groups and just enjoy socializing
- Read about Biker Chicks in the Press Democrat here.
- Check out our Facebook page here.
- Would you like a little one-on-one help with someone who can explain gears, lane position, or what to wear? Our Biker “Hen” Janice is willing to help! Email email@example.com for more info.
- Street Skills 101 is highly recommended for all Biker Chicks. Find out more here.
- How to change a flat tire
- Women & Bicycles Workbook
- Hand signals
- Types of bicycles
- Power pedal position
- Braking best practices
- Shifting gears
- How to use your bike for errands/commuting
- Guide to selecting a city bike
- How to fit a helmet
- How to choose the right bike seat aka saddle
- How to lube your chain
- Momentum Magazine
- Bikey Face Comic