Did your New Year’s Resolutions include more exercise, more time outdoors, losing weight, more time with family? Bike2it!
Are you concerned about climate change and looking for ways to decrease your carbon footprint? Bike2it!
Transportation is one of our biggest contributors to greenhouse gas emissions. 30% of trips in Sonoma County are two miles or less – a distance even most beginning riders can do in fifteen minutes or so. If your destination is within 2 miles – Bike2it!
JOIN THE Bike2it! CHALLENGE!
Step One: Calculate your two mile radius
- Using a paper map: Find the scale (usually near the North arrow) and use a compass or piece of string to draw a two mile circle with your home or workplace at the center. (Sign up for the Bike2it! challenge to receive a free bike map and radius calculator!)
- Online: Search your address using the Map Radius Calculator. Click on “Draw a Circle.” Put the cursor on your home or workplace and drag it out to draw a two mile circle. (You might have to zoom out to get two miles.) Download and/or print your map.
Note: if you are a real beginner cyclist or out of shape, start with a smaller circle; if you want more of a challenge, draw a bigger one. It’s all up to you!
Step Two: Identify your destinations
On your map, mark your most common destinations: grocery store, bank, park, school, work, bus stop, train station, post office, library, restaurants, bakery, etc. How many of them are in your circle?
Step Three: Pledge to ride instead of drive to destinations within your circle
- Take a free class on bike rules, safety, route planning, bike handling skills, etc.
- Lock your bike up securely at your destination
- You’ll need a rack or basket to carry things
- Tips for riding in the rain
Step Four: Tally your rides
Download the tally sheet if you’d like to record your rides manually. (The tally sheet is a fillable PDF form; you can print it out and hand record items, or save it to your computer and do it digitally.)
Step Five: Share the fun
Encourage your family, friends, neighbors, or coworkers to take the Bike2it! pledge. Share photos of yourself and your destinations on your own social media (#bike2it!) and/or post on our Facebook group page.