Why should you participate in Bike to Work Month this May? Not only is cycling good for the environment and the rider’s health, it’s good for your bottom line…and it’s the right thing to do! Employees who are physically active are healthier, more productive, take fewer sick days, and make lower claims against their health insurance. Providing secure bicycle parking is cheaper than providing free parking spaces. Making it easier for employees to use alternative transportation demonstrates that you care about them and the environment…and creates a positive organizational culture.
We’ve compiled some tools to help you celebrate Bike to Work Day not just on May 14th, but everyday!
(This page is a work in progress – if you don’t see what you need, contact Cherie at email@example.com or 545-0153!)
- SCBC is holding a FREE pre-BTWM clinic on Saturday April 18, 10 am – 1 pm, at our office at 750 Mendocino Avenue. Participants can have their bike checked for safety and their helmet fitted, get a free bike map, learn some safe cycling tips, and enjoy coffee & snacks.
- Fear and safety concerns can be a barrier for new riders; participation in a Safe Cycling class can increase your employees’ skills and confidence on a bike! It is $20/person to attend regularly scheduled classes at our location…or $300 for us to come lead a one hour “brown bag” class at your worksite! (Contact Cherie for more info.)
- Do you already have some seasoned cyclists on staff? Engage them as team captains or team them up with new riders.
- Is your workplace close to a bus stop or SMART station? Remember that riders can take their bikes on the train and on most buses!
- Check out our tips on what makes an employer bicycle-friendly.
Getting the Word Out
- Poster for FREE Clinic April 18th
- BTWD poster – 8 1/2″ x 11″ English & Spanish; 11″ x 17″ English
- Use these sample newsletter blurbs & photos in your company newsletter, social media, emails (coming soon!)
- Sample newsletter blurb
- Invite employees to Pledge to Ride – they’ll receive weekly tips and an opportunity for prizes
- More suggestionsfor supporting Bike to Work Day from the Bay Area BTWD coalition
During Bike to Work Month
- Create a team for the Bike to Work Month Challenge. (If you’d like to compete against other Sonoma County companies, enter “Sonoma County Bicycle Coalition” in the company/organization field.)
- Challenge participants will need to download the app. (This is a great opportunity to engage your more tech-savvy employees to help others! Or, if you get stuck, contact Cherie.)
- Offer prizes or other incentives to participants.
On Bike to Work Day (May 14)
- Energizer stations are set up during the morning commute along cycling routes around the county on National Bike to Work Day, offering riders snacks, swag, and encouragement! Share the Energizer Station map so everyone knows which location is closest to your workplace and/or their home.
- Celebrate! Have a special lunch or breakfast. Offer prizes to those who participate. Feature them in your internal communications and/or social media.
Make Your Workplace Bike-Friendly Every Day
- Download our list of tips for making your business bike-friendly.
- Want to go even farther? Get certified as a Bicycle Friendly Business by the League of American Cyclists!
THANKS TO OUR 2019 BTWD SPONSORS!
ENERGIZER STATION HOSTS