Why should you participate in Bike to Work Month this May? Not only is cycling good for the environment and the rider’s health, it’s good for your bottom line…and it’s the right thing to do! Employees who are physically active are healthier, more productive, take fewer sick days, and make lower claims against their health insurance. Providing secure bicycle parking is cheaper than providing free parking spaces. Making it easier for employees to use alternative transportation demonstrates that you care about them and the environment…and creates a positive organizational culture.
We’ve compiled some tools to help you celebrate Bike to Work Day not just on May 10, but everyday!
(This page is a work in progress – if you don’t see what you need, contact Eris at email@example.com or 545-0153!)
- SCBC is holding a FREE pre-BTWM clinic on April 28, 10 am – 1 pm, at our office at 750 Mendocino Avenue. Participants can have their bike checked for safety and their helmet fitted, get a free bike map, learn some safe cycling tips, and enjoy coffee & snacks.
- Fear and safety concerns can be a barrier for new riders; participation in a Safe Cycling class can increase your employees’ skills and confidence on a bike! It is $20/person to attend regularly scheduled classes at our location…or $300 for us to come lead a one hour “brown bag” class at your worksite! (Contact Eris for more info.)
- Do you already have some seasoned cyclists on staff? Engage them as team captains or team them up with new riders.
- Is your workplace close to a bus stop or SMART station? Remember that riders can take their bikes on the train and on most buses!
- Check out our tips on what makes an employer bicycle-friendly.
Getting the Word Out
- Poster for FREE Clinic April 28
- BTWD poster – 8 1/2″ x 11″ English & Spanish; 11″ x 17″ English
- Use these sample newsletter blurbs & photos in your company newsletter, social media, emails (coming soon!)
- Invite employees to Pledge to Ride – they’ll receive weekly tips and an opportunity for prizes
- More suggestions for supporting Bike to Work Day from the Bay Area BTWD coalition
During Bike to Work Month
- Create a team for the Bike to Work Month Challenge. (If you’d like to compete against other Sonoma County companies, enter “Sonoma County Bicycle Coalition” in the company/organization field.)
- Challenge participants will need to download the Ride Report app (Apple or Android). Look for the BTWD banner and connect to Love to Ride. (This is a great opportunity to engage your more tech-savvy employees to help others! Or, if you get stuck, contact Eris.)
- Offer prizes or other incentives to participants.
On Bike to Work Day (May 10)
- Energizer stations are set up during the morning commute along cycling routes around the county on National Bike to Work Day, offering riders snacks, swag, and encouragement! Share the Energizer Station map so everyone knows which location is closest to your workplace and/or their home.
- Celebrate! Have a special lunch or breakfast. Offer prizes to those who participate. Feature them in your internal communications and/or social media.
Make Your Workplace Bike-Friendly Every Day
- Download our list of tips for making your business bike-friendly.
- Want to go even farther? Get certified as a Bicycle Friendly Business by the League of American Cyclists! As of September 2017, there are NO businesses certified in Sonoma County! Wouldn’t it be cool to become the first??? (There are only two certified in the North Bay, Kaiser Permanente in San Rafael and the Clif Family Winery in St. Helena.)
THANKS TO OUR 2018 BTWD SPONSORS!