Calling All Women! Are you ready to discover or rediscover a love of bicycling? Ride with us!
The Biker Chicks are a team of women cyclists dedicated to getting more women out road riding. Rides are open to any woman who wants to join us! We ride as a group and have a lot of fun while we’re at it.
Biker Chicks was started by Sonoma County 3rd District Supervisor Shirlee Zane. Shirlee rediscovered her love of cycling and can be spotted most weekends pedaling the Joe Rodota trail or the County’s picturesque back roads.
Now she wants to share the joy of bicycling with you. Biker Chicks was founded in early 2012, with the first ride including more than 50 women.
Typically, we ride on the fourth weekend of each month, switching back and forth from Saturday to Sunday.
Next Ride: SUNDAY, MARCH 17
Start/End Location: Trek Bicycle Santa Rosa
Time: Start time is 10am. Come early and enjoy some coffee and goodies.
End time varies, usually between 12:30 and 1:30pm (rides and stops take approximately 3 hours).
Bring: your road-ready bicycle, helmet, water, ID, cash for lunch, a spare tube, patch kit, mini pump.
Choose from THREE RIDE OPTIONS:
- Easy-does-it 17-mile ride, very casual pace (10-12mph)
- In-the-groove 23-mile ride, casual moderate pace (11-15mph)
- Pick-up-the-pace 23-mile ride, same route but faster (14-17mph)
PLEASE NOTE: AS ALWAYS, RAIN CANCELS THE RIDE!
Bike Handling Clinic: SUNDAY, APRIL 7
Date: Sunday April 7, 2019
Place: Sonoma Mountain Village, Rohnert Park, Northeast Parking Lot
Cost: $10 for SCBC members, $20 for non-members
- Balance skills, handling water bottles, drinking and eating on bike
- Avoiding obstacles on the road safely
- Cornering safely
- Emergency/panic stops
- Group riding skills and etiquette
Save the Date(s) – 2019 Ride Calendar
- Saturday, April 20 – Start/end at Windsor Bike and Sport
- Sunday, May 19 – Start/end at REI Santa Rosa
- Saturday, June 15 – Start/end at Trek Bicycle Santa Rosa
- Sunday, July 21 – Start/end at Norcal Bike Sport
- Saturday, August 17 – Start/end TBD
- Sunday, September 22 – Start/end TBD
- Saturday, October 19 – Start/end at Trek Bicycle Santa Rosa
- Sunday, November 17 – Start/end TBD
- Saturday, December 28 – Start/end TBD
Our Rides: What to Expect
- No one is left behind! We always start off together and regroup many times throughout the ride. Some rides are meant for fitness, some are cruiser rides meant to be social and relaxed.
- All routes have ride leaders and ‘sweeps’ to help you on the way. Our ride leaders are Chris Culver, Cathy Balach, Cindy O’Grady, Anna Silveira, Amy Loukonen, Janice Eunice, MJ Stimson, Trish Sames and Dawn Silveira.
- Ride locations throughout Sonoma: Ride starting points vary all over Sonoma County. Routes are planned based on terrain, road safety and projected weather conditions. We usually start and end at a restaurant or farmers market for an optional group lunch or drink.
- Each ride has three options starting and ending from the same location (starting at the same time):
- Easy-does-it ride – a shorter distance ride (typically 12 to 15 miles), and casual speed of around 10-12mph.
- In-the-groove – a longer ride (up to 25 miles) but still at a casual pace (moderate casual, 11-15mph)
- Pick-up-the-pace – same route as In-the-groove (up to 25 miles) but at a faster pace (14-17mph).
- Riders will always have Chick support, no matter what her riding speed.
- Keep in mind that we want all our rides to be as fun and as safe as possible. That is why we ask all Chicks to take the Bike Coalition’s Smart Cycling Class.
Want to learn more? Connect with us on FaceBook!
Pre-Ride Checklist and Resources
- A road-ready bike: Has it been a while since your bike last saw the open road? Drop it off at your local bicycle shop and ask for a Safety Check (about $30) or a Tune-up (about $85) and you will be good to go! Please come to our rides with working brakes, tires full of air, and a smile on your face. :)
- We ask that all Biker Chicks attend the Coalition’s Street Skills 101 class, which is offered monthly.
- Join our mailing list at the bottom of this page to stay in the loop about ride locations and start times.
Why Join Us?
Women currently account for less than half of the people who who ride bikes. We want to change that! The Bicycle Coalition hopes that Biker Chicks rides provide a safe space for women to ride, learn, build confidence, and have fun!
We provide coaching and support for all women, whether you are:
- New to group riding
- Looking to learn or improve your road riding skills
- Experienced in groups and just enjoy socializing
Our rides are led by cycle enthusiasts and long-time Biker Chicks, including Cathy Balach, Chris Culver, Janice Eunice, Cindy O’Grady, Amy Loukonen, Mary Jane Stimson, and Anna Silveira.
Become a part of the movement for better bicycling in Sonoma County! With the help of cycling enthusiasts like you we can grow the network of bike paths and bike lanes that keep our streets safe for everyone.
- Check out our Facebook page here.
- Would you like a little one-on-one help with someone who can explain gears, lane position, or what to wear? Our Biker “Hen” Janice is willing to help! Email email@example.com for more info.
- Street Skills 101 is highly recommended for all Biker Chicks. Find out more.
Biker Chicks in the News
- How to change a flat tire
- Women & Bicycles Workbook
- Hand signals
- Types of bicycles
- Power pedal position
- Braking best practices
- Shifting gears
- How to use your bike for errands/commuting
- Guide to selecting a city bike
- How to fit a helmet
- How to choose the right bike seat aka saddle
- How to lube your chain
- Momentum Magazine
- Bikey Face Comic