SCBC held our annual Membership Meeting on January 12. About eighty attendees enjoyed dinner prepared by volunteers (thank you to Spud for planning, purchasing the food, and directing the show!) and beverages donated by Third Street Aleworks, Balleto Vineyards, Kendall Jackson, and Geyser Peak.
Christine Culver and Genevieve Franklin were re-elected to the Board of Directors.
Executive Director Alisha O’Loughlin and staff members Tina Panza and Eris Weaver shared highlights from 2017 and upcoming events in 2018:
- Sharing the Road: We partnered with Sonoma County Transit on a series of print, radio, bus, and digital ads. We produced a video PSA in collaboration with our counterparts in Marin & Napa; it aired in local movie theaters, public television, and online for over 200,000 views!
- SMART: As a member of SMART’s Pathway Prioritization & Funding Ad-Hoc Committee, SCBC is helping develop a Draft Pathway Prioritization & Funding Plan. We continue to advocate for the Jennings Avenue crossing. And we created two videos demonstrating how to use SMART’s bike storage areas and the Bikelink lockers at each station.
- Offroad Access: We successfully partnered with Redwood Empire Mountain Bike Alliance, Sonoma County Trails Council and local cyclists to maintain biking as an allowable use on Fitch Mountain. We’re also working to support efforts by the City of Santa Rosa and others to improve access to Annadel from Oakmont via Stone Bridge Road and the path that runs alongside the old wastewater treatment plant.
- Safety on Rural Roads: SCBC helped to advance the following projects:
- Willowside Road Repaving, 2019 (Piner to Hall)
- Mark West & Porter Creek Bike Lane Striping & Signage
- Westside Road Winery Project – New blind driveway defeated
- Watertrough Road, Sebastopol – Safety improvements for students & other users
- We shared statistics on our ongoing programs Bike to Work Month, Safe Cycling Classes, Safe Routes to School, and Biker Chick rides.
- We collaborated on several Bike Drives for fire victims, helping to get over a thousand bikes to those in need.
- Current/Future Projects we’re monitoring and helping to advance:
- Sonoma Valley Trail
- Petaluma-Sebastopol Trail
- Lower Russian River Trail
- Santa Rosa’s SE Greenway
- Highway 101 Community Connector Bridge
- Petaluma Boulevard South Road Diet
- SMART Pathway & Bikes on Trains
- Caltrans District 4 Bike Plan
- Hwy 37 Bike/Ped Improvements